Staying Cool : 5 Wonderful Reasons to Drink Water
Water has always been and will always be the most important drink that humans should have. Lately, thankfully, water has risen quite a lot in popularity. It is now the second most popular drink behind soft drinks. Water is an extremely important part of any diet, and there are plenty of wonderful reasons to drink water.
Basically, drinking water is essential to your health, but there are other reasons to drink it too! Read on to discover the five wonderful reasons why you should drink water:
1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Since your body is composed of about 60% water, you want to make sure that you are taking in enough water to equal or exceed your output. The water in your body composes of your bodily fluids, which help with digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature. Don’t ignore your body either! Your body makes you thirsty when you need more water, so make sure you’re consuming it
2. Water Can Help Control Calories. What better way to lose weight than to substitute water for higher calorie beverages? Water is a part of being healthy. Water should be a part of any weight loss strategy. Water helps you to trim your caloric intake. In fact, food with high water content tends to look larger (think watermelons), and it’s higher volume require more chewing. This means that it is absorbed more slowly by your body and helps you to feel full. So stick to those fruits and veggies!
3. Water Helps Energize Muscles. You must drink a lot of fluids when you are exercising. For example, it is recommended to drink about 17oz. of fluid at least two hours before you exercise. Additionally, you’ll want to drink while you work out so you can replace the fluids you lose by sweating. Cells that don't maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue.
4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good. Remember how your body contains about 60% water? Well, maintaining that water level helps you in plenty of ways, including your skin. Your skin acts as a barrier to prevent excessive fluid loss. Proper hydration can smooth your skin somewhat. Additionally, you can lock in moisture by using moisturizer, which creates a physical barrier to keep moisture in.
5. Water Helps Your Kidneys. Your kidneys are the main reason why waste products are transported in and out of cells. Your kidneys cleanse your body and rid it of toxins, so long as the fluid intake remains adequate and constant. Kidneys help you to excrete the proper fluids that display when you’ve had enough water. If you chronically drink too little, you may be at higher risk for kidney stones, especially in warm climates!
There are other ways to remain healthy as well, which you can check out at the YMCA’s Healthy Living advice. Whether you are spending time participating in group exercise or personal training, staying healthy has never been easier!