This month the YMCA turned 175 year old! The first Y was founded in London England in 1844 to address social issues impacting their community. Today the Y is one of the largest nonprofit organizations in the world serving 58 million people in 119 counties. To celebrate the Y is challenging you to do 175 minutes of Spirit, Mind and Body activities. Join the fun!
Jack Semones’s drive to Town North YMCA was nothing out of the ordinary on Saturday, June 15th as he was expecting a small gathering of family and friends to celebrate his 93rd birthday. Gathered in front of the YMCA was hundreds of extended friends and family to finally revealed: the name of Town North changing to Semones Family YMCA.
For the 19th year the Dallas YMCA held the YMCA Father of the Year Event. Nineteen area Dads were honored Thursday, June 13th at a family event at Dave and Busters. Each year, the Dallas YMCAs accept nominations from family members in each local community who wish to honor a father with this special award. Each local YMCA chose a “Father of the Year” from their community.
As summer creeps closer and the temperatures start to climb, people head to the pool, lakes, and beaches. It also means as adults we must be vigilant around the water. It is a time when we must put our phones down and focus on the water.
The 4th of July is just around the corner, have you made your holiday plans yet? Lace up your running shoes and join the Independence Day celebration by supporting the Y with the Dallas Marathon’s Five on the 4th.at Klyde Warren Park.
There's so much going on within the Dallas YMCA Association! President and CEO, Curt Hazelbaker, gives his monthly take on what's happening and where we are going in his newsletter.
SIRIUS SOLUTIONS ANNOUNCES SUCCESS OF LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM AT DALLAS YMCA
Dallas - May 29, 2019 – The Sirius Solutions Human Capital practice is proud to announce the successful first year of their leadership development program at the Dallas YMCA. Entitled “Achieve Your Leadership Potential” (AYLP) the innovative program not only has helped develop future leaders in Dallas but laid out a blueprint for how the program could assist other organizations.
DALLAS YMCA CEO VISITS YMCA LIBERIA
Dallas - May 10, 2019 – YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas world service partner, Liberia YMCA, honors ‘long serving employees’ and five American visiting guests representing the US-YMCA.
IT’S INDEPENDENCE DAY: FIVE ON THE 4TH RUN/WALK RETURNS FOR PATRIOTIC HOLIDAY
Dallas - May 29, 2019 - Start your Independence Day on the right foot with Five on the 4th, a family-friendly event benefiting the YMCA of Greater Dallas, is back after a successful inaugural event last year. The event takes place at Klyde Warren Park on July 4th, with races and walks beginning at 8 a.m.
DROWNING IS SECOND LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH FOR KIDS
Dallas - May 24, 2019 - A safety-first focus is available through swimming lessons, water safety demonstrations and other community partnerships at the YMCA year-round. As summer kicks off, water safety becomes a focal point for summer activities. The Y is offering Free “Safe Swim” at YMCA pools across the metroplex Memorial Day Weekend, including Water Safety Demos!
MEMORIAL WEEK OPEN HOUSE
Dallas - May 24, 2019 - In appreciation for those in uniform, the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas proudly invites all active military personnel, first responders, past and present, along with their families, to ENJOY THE Y FOR FREE at one of our 19 YMCA locations during the week of Memorial Day, May 27th - 31st.
Y SCHOLARS AWARDED $35,500 BY YMCA FOUNDATION
Dallas - May 3, 2019 - Seventeen Dallas-area high school seniors received a total of $35,500 in academic scholarships from the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas Foundation and its supporters at its 39th Annual College Scholarship Reception. These scholarships are renewable over four years for a total of $142,000. Along with these scholars, the YMCA awarded an additional $130,000 to 81 continuing college students who re-qualified for prior scholarships based on academic achievement.
TEENS MEET IN DALLAS FOR MODEL UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE
Dallas - April 12, 2019 - This 2018-19 school year the Texas Model United Nations program welcomed 544 teens from 42 schools across the state including 386 teens from 24 schools across Dallas. Dallas and Houston officers and YMCAs each hosted Regional Summits and 210 participants attended the 4th MUN State Assembly held at the Plano Marriott.
2018 Press Releases
- Dallas YMCA CFO Named Nonprofit CFO Of The Year By Dallas Business Journal
- Know The Risks: November Is National Diabetes Awareness Month
- Childhood Obesity Is A Family Affair
- Irving Family YMCA Welcomes New Executive Director To The Community
- Daymark Living Founder Receives Gov. Abbot’s Lone Star Award
- AT&T Awards $65,000 To YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas Program Empowering Middle & High School Students
- Dallas YMCA Named NonProfit Organization of the Year
- YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas Earns 4-Star Rating from Charity Navigator
- YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas Foundation Awards College Scholarship
- Dallas Marathon's Inaugural Five on the 4th Event Benefiting the YMCA
- Communities Foundation of Texas gives $150,000 to support racial equality in Dallas
- Hunt County Uncertainty Put To Rest Through YMCA Support
2017 Press Releases
For additional details and photos visit: MarathonFoto
2016 Press Releases
- Moody Family YMCA Holds Sneak Peek Event
- Dallas YMCA Gives Local Seniors Scholarships
- Dallas YMCA Hosts 131st Annual Meeting
- Panelist Bring "Healthy Relationship Huddle" to DeSoto
2015 News Releases
- YMCA Receives $4,000 From The Texas Bar Foundation
- 12th Annual YMCA Key Leaders Luncheon
- Prevention Could Be The Cure For High Health Costs
- The Importance of STEM
- Dallas Chosen As Pilot Site To Expand STEM Education To East Dallas, Pleasant Grove
- Dallas YMCA Hosts Lone Star Swim Meet
- IMAGINE SCIENCE Takes Flight
- USA Women's Soccer Team Inspires Grand Prairie YMCA Day Campers
- At The Heart Of It All
- Dallas YMCA Celebrates Dads
- White Rock YMCA Hosts a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- YMCA MAKE A SPLASH Swim Initiative Teaches Life Saving Skills
- Dallas YMCA Hosts Annual Campaign Victory Celebration
- YMCA Breaks Ground On The New Moody Family YMCA In The Park Cities
- YMCA College Scholarships
- Texas Democrats, Republicans Unite To Form YMCA Legislative Caucus
- Dallas YMCA hosts 130th Annual Meeting
- YMCADallas Receives Office Depot Foundation Donation
- Two YMCA Members: One Suffers a Near Fatal Heart Condition, the Other Saves His Life
- Dallas Y Chosen for Deloitte's Pro Bono Community Investment