This certification course gives participants the skills and knowledge needed to be lifeguards in the pool. It offers up-to-date information on how to guard, anticipate and prevent problems and take action to help those in danger. It also covers safety and survival skills every swimmer needs to know, accident prevention, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills and first aid in aquatic environments.
With a lifeguarding certification, you can also become a swimming instructor or coach, as well as a lifeguard at the YMCA.
To qualify, you must:
- Must be at least 16 years old (Parental permission required)
- Must be able to swim 100 yards in under 2 minutes
- Must be able to swim consecutively 50 yards of Heads Up freestyle, sidestroke, breaststroke, Heads Up breaststroke, and inverted breaststroke (legs only)
- Must be able to surface dive to the depth of 9 feet and swim underwater for 15 feet
- Must be able to follow instructions from instructor and perform a series of takes in succession
- Attend 100% of all mandatory classes
- Have 8 1/2 hours of online training required before class