HAPPY 175th TO THE Y!
On June 6th, 1844 the YMCA was founded in London England by young people who were determined to address the social challenges impacting their community. Today, as one of the largest nonprofits in the world serving 58 million people in 119 countries, the Y continues to bring people from all walks of life together to create a better community--- and a better world--- for all.
This month Y’s around the world are celebrating the founding of the YMCA and our shared legacy of bringing people together to strengthen community. Take the YMCA Birthday Challege and spend 175 minutes the week of June 23rd-29th volunteering in your community, spending quality time with your family or taking care of yourself and earn a commemorative YMCA Birthday shirt.
We invite you to spend 175 minutes doing various activities that exhibit the Y’s mission and core values. Here is a list of ways you can spend your 175 minutes to stretch your spirt mind and body.
- Taking a walk with family or friends in the morning or evening
- Participating in the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot Thanksgiving in June by donating can/dry goods at your local Y to support North Texas families
- Making a healthy meal with your family
- Taking breaks to stretch/walk around or enjoy a conversation with a coworker at work
- Donating your time to volunteer at your local Y or in your community, house of worship or other charitable organization.
- Inviting a friend or neighbor to join you at the Y
- Writing down what you are grateful for at the beginning or end of your day
- Trying a new group exercise or fitness class at your Y
- Writing a thank you card to a fellow member or employee at your Y for their impact they have made on you
- Taking a screen break to enjoy a book or time outside
- Making time to call and friend or family member that you haven’t heard from in awhile
- Trying a new healthy recipe to share with your family
- Spending part of your weekend practicing water safety with your family and neighbors
- Reading to a child
- Swimming laps at the Y
- Jumping on a treadmill or spin bike at your local Y
Document and share the completion and activities with your friends, family & fellow Y members. For those that complete this challenge, get a limited YMCA 175th Birthday T-shirt while supplies last. Share your 175 Birthday challenge on social media with pictures or a thought or reflection about the Y’s birthday using #YMCA175
To find out more information on how you can participate in Thanksgiving in June at ymcadallas.org/turkeytrot/thanksgivingjune